Wednesday 27 February 2013

Ancillary Task - Film Poster

The ancillary task of creating a movie poster has allowed me to challenge the use of technology and ways in which I could effectively, yet simply portray aspects of my surrealist feature for distribution terms.  I choose the aspect that less is of course more; I choose to simply show a black and white blank page with the many alarm clocks used in the making of my film as props.  After importing the images into Adobe photoshop, I used the brush tool to erase the background, softening the edges of the image to allow them to blend in the background.  A white background was most effective to create a subtle hint of these props and the denotations that they present in being very influential and key to the plot.  Due to my main character not actually developing that much in terms of his character throughout the film, I feel that placing his face would be most irrelevant; taking key Independant movie poster conventions and adapting then to present my film subject through the symbollic use of props.
 
 
 
The variety of clock types seem to suggest that we are unaware of the actual era, ironically; such as the digital alarm clock contrasts to the old fashioned, bronze hanging clock in the image.  The book displays a large clock face, the bold titling of 'Timeless Reflections' suggests how memories are most persistent, and regardless of time they are most important to us - which can be seen in the dream like state where the character is exported after he falls asleep.  My poster is in monochrome; the central clock image adds to the effect of time being almost transparent as it is thrown in the centre of the blank page.  It is clearly the most important prop and is up to the viewers interpretation; they can simply see that this concept is crucial to my film's idea.  I chose the font as it is simple; using black as it contrasts and looks sharp against the emptiness of the white background.  I used my ident logos from my AS work; the use of 'Phantasm Films' and 'Illusion Images' can be seen at the bottom of the page; with the Sundance Film logos that are usually used in the promotion of films.  I chose not to add a tagline, to create a mystery and leave the audience to interpret what the film is actually about.  I added a line however which suggests that the film is in Salvador Dali's influences, again this being a central point - simply with the fact that the title in itself is his painting's name.  The web address adds to the formality and promotion of my feature suggesting that audience members and viewers can find out more if they visit the website.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment