Monday 5 November 2012

FRANKENWEENIE

After long anticipation of Tim Burton's new feature; Frankenweenie I must admit the dark, black and white, stop-motion animation met my high expectations - after long periods of counting down and viewing it the day of it's release. Being aware of my sensitive nature, especially when watching films - my ability to sympathize with characters led to my prediction of tears in the cinema after Victor's dog dies.  The plot emphasizes Victor's talent and intelligence and he conducts a life changing science experiment where he is able to shock his beloved dog, Sparky back to life - creating his FRANKEN-weenie! What we do not is expect is that this action leads to terrible consequences as his class-mates drive for competition due to the upcoming science fair.  The quirky, comedy-horror is a remake of Burton's 1984 short film, also challenging Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  Released by Walt Disney Pictures, on 5th October 2012 - the film has met many positive reviews and is also known as the first black and white stop-motion animated feature to be released in IMAX 3D.  

So my score out of ten? Probably a 100.  I absolutely loved the film, it is extremely artistic and characters develop comically and are depicted darkly, with animation artists from the also fantastic Corpse Bride being included to work on the feature.  Amazingly, Sparky's little grave stone has also been added to the Haunted Mansion Holiday event of Disneyland where characters from The Nightmare before Christmas are also placed.  Also being an enthusiastic fan, I was keen enough to purchase the soundtrack for the fiilm - which may I point out was one of the main reasons I was that attracted to the film - with great tracks from Passion Pit, Grouplove etc. - currently my favorite album.  I am now awaiting the release of Frankenweenie on DVD in January 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment